Friday, June 3, 2011

More Medical Updates on Jacob/Henry

We received more information about the circumstances surrounding Jacob/Henry's death. I postulated earlier that a cause may have been refeeding syndrome, based on the information I was given at first. With the additional information we now have, it appears that this is not the case, but they were trying to treat him for severe malnutrition when he died.
It seems they performed surgery, and from what I can gather, his esophagus was narrowed. This is probably why they were performing surgery, to widen this. They did put a "tube" in, I assume a "g-tube" or a tube that goes straight into his stomach through which formula can be given, bypassing the esophagus.
An incision got infected, I believe from the report, peritonitis set in, and that was a major factor in his death.
It does not appear as if they ever got enough food into him to trigger a refeeding syndrome reaction, but they were treating him.
I did find out where he is buried and we plan on visiting his grave while we are in the country.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I am just getting back on the computer after many weeks of not...came here to check on Jacob/Henry. I can't tell you how much I think of him and how hard we prayed for him to find a family. I am crying as I read that he passed away. I am so sorry for your loss. I know he is at peace now but it is all just too sad. Although we weren't the parents of Jacob, his picture was on our fridge for a long time, I don't know if it helps at all to know that we loved him too and prayed for him a lot.I will still be praying for your family as you go get Matt.

    ReplyDelete