Monday, May 30, 2011

Support Changes

Change is difficult. Growing pains are real. I know this, but it does not make it any easier to deal with.
For many years, since at least 1999, I have been active with Yahoogroups. I love the group idea. I am an owner of a couple of  (inactive) groups, and a member of many, many more (too many) very active groups. I can and do moderate my membership in each of my groups depending upon what is going on in my life at the time, how much time I have to spend on the computer, and how much support I feel I need in any given area of my life. For me, they have been a lifesaver. I get wonderful ideas for handling difficulties, and have made a few real life friends.  Right now, I have emails from groups about homeschooling, Catholic homeschooling, homeschooling children with Down syndrome, attachment difficulties, and I USED to have one for ReecesRainbow, both preadoption (since we are adopting again) and post adoption (since we have adopted through RR) . To say that these have been my lifeline (after my husband) is not an over exaggeration at all.

Last week an important announcement came through the RR yahoogroup. The group was closing, effective Friday, and everyone had to "move" to a "board" format. I signed up for the board, I've navigated around it, and I have heard that I can even sign up for all messages to be delivered to my email box. I signed up for that a few hours ago, but thus far, nothing.

I posted two comments about not caring for the format, but I don't think I need to belabor the point. I don't need to be 'convinced" how much better one format is over another. I like what I like, and don't like change.
Now, I know I should change what I can, and what I can't I can either live with or move on. The format of the support offered is not up to me; that decision is above my pay grade. And, after this, I won't whine any more about it, here. But, it is my blog and I figure I am entitled to one post about how much I don't like the change.

In the end it is up to me to either adapt to the change or move on. I really already miss the support I've received through the years. Change, indeed, is difficult.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment